Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Pinterest Has Created A Monster! (but in a good way)

I have been a pin freak these last few weeks on Pinterest.  I have become addicted to that site.  I have seen so many fun ideas from it and have tried a few at home.  Some with better success than others.  Oh well.  I've enjoyed each project and learned a few things along the way.

I want to show two projects that I tackled last weekend through this week.  Project #1 was a makeover of my trusty filing cabinet.  Project #2 was reorganizing Madison's closet.  I took a lot of pics of Project #1.  It was a learning experience.

Project #1 - Filing Cabinet Makeover

My little black filing cabinet is a necessity in my office but just didn't go with the new desk and shelves we bought after moving in.  I had looked at covering it with contact paper but didn't like the options out there.  On Pinterest, I saw a pic of a makeover someone had done and loved the idea.  It was from a blogger out of Dallas.  Here is the link to her blog 'Little House in the Big D.'  I headed out to Michael's and picked out the scrapbook paper I wanted to use.  I found the spray paint at Home Depot.  Their selection was the best and prices were a lot better as well.

Step 1:  Take off handles and clean with damp cloth to remove dust.  I didn't even try to figure out how to get the lock off.  I decided to just spray paint over it.  Lazy, but I'm OK with my decision.  :-) 


Step 2: I started spraying with a primer first but the can clogged. I decided to try just using the brown spray and it worked fine.  I used three coats on the entire cabinet.  It took about a day and a half to apply all three coats.

Step 3:  I started putting the scrapbook paper on the bottom drawer.  I had to layer 2 sheets to cover each drawer completely.  I was a little forgetful on how to modge podge correctly.  I forgot to apply a layer to the drawer first and was stumped for a bit because my paper wasn't sticking when I applied the glue to the top of the paper.  Silly, but I figured it out and had plenty of paper to start over.  On the blog I referenced, she used a hot glue gun to secure the side of the paper around each drawer.  I couldn't get that to work for me so I made a trip to Target and bought super glue formulated for metal and paper.  It worked perfectly.  Then I applied 3 layers of modge podge.  I let each layer dry completely before applying the next one.


Step 4:  After letting the modge podge dry on the bottom drawer.  I started the whole process over on the top drawer.  It went much faster.


Step 5:  I attached the handles back to the cabinet. 


Step 6:  Final placement.  I put it back in the corner of my office and put my accessories on top just were I need them.  Perfect!  It has its imperfections, but it works perfectly for me. 


Project #2 - Reorganizing Madison's Closet. 

Madison's closet had become a big mess, and I just didn't know what to do with it.  I wanted to keep toys and bags where she could get to them easily, but the floor of the closet was almost covered with stuff.  I saw a pin on Pinterest, and it really got me thinking of ways to open more space in her closet.   I also liked the blogger's decision to make it easier for her daughter to access her stuff.  I wanted to do that for Madison.  She's getting to be a  'big girl' and enjoys picking out her stuff.  I'll just include the finished pics below.  OK.  I'll fess up. I was so excited to get started that I forgot to take before pics.  Sorry.  
I went to Target and Lowe's to get all of my organizing goodies.  It took me about 3 hours to put the shelves together and redo her closet completely.  I even sorted fall stuff into special areas so we do a quick inventory in September and determine what she needs without digging around a lot. 
The best thing about this project is that Madison loves it.  She was so excited to see the changes.  She can even reach her crayons and chalk now (I may regret that later).  You can check out the blog that gave me my inspiration by clicking this link.  Enjoy!



1 comment:

  1. They are both such great projects! I LOVE what you did with the filing cabinet!!

    ReplyDelete