Friday, June 8, 2012

Just call me 'The Gnat Killer!'

About a month ago we started noticing gnats flying around our kitchen.  We keep our kitchen pretty clean so I couldn't imagine what was causing all those pesky bugs.  I put our fruit in bags or into the fridge to make sure they were attracting the bugs.  That did nothing to stop them and they only multiplied.  We noticed they were hovering around the sink so we scrubbed it and used bleach to see if that would help.  Nope.  No change.  I think I even heard one laugh at me.

I finally searched online and discovered that our house plants could be the problem.  I moved them all outside.  I have a black thumb anyway so it's not like these plants looked amazing.  Some were barely hanging on.  Still, no change in the gnat population. 

So, I looked online for suggestions on how to get rid of them and found a great solutions.  The instructions were to get an empty soda or water bottle.  Put in vinegar, soap and water.  Then swish the mixture around the container.  The soap coats the sides so the little buggers cant climb out.  I was to put a piece of saran wrap over the opening and secure it with a rubber band.  After poking small holes in the plastic wrap, I put the bottle by the sink.  Then we were to wait to see what happens. 

The vinegar smell is supposed to attract the gnats and the bottle traps them.  We saw some on the bottle within an hour of putting out our trap.  Unfortunately we kept scaring them off when we used our sink.  So, we decided it would probably work best overnight while we were asleep.

The bottle......


The results.......


We counted 17 gnats killed overnight.  The only depressing thing is that there are more flying around today.  I may have to get another bottle put together and set it out.  I'm going to win this battle.  These gnats have finally met their match!  {insert evil laugh}

No comments:

Post a Comment